6.3.10

Owen Fiddler

Hello, everyone. This is my first time ever to review a book. I hope to be fair, objective, and non-biased.

This past Christmas, I’ve received a dozen or so books as gifts from my family. Eight of the books were written by other bloggers. I tell you, these bloggers are just as talented as those mentioned on the New York Times best-sellers list.

Today, I’m going to review Owen Fiddler, written by my blog friend, Marvin D. Wilson.

Owen Fiddler takes you along on his life’s journey - a journey filled with trials and tribulations that he must confront and conquer along the way. He could never seem to get it right in his life up until the very end. But man, oh, man, the journey he takes you on is just one adventure after the next. I couldn’t put this book down. I read it in bed, in the bathroom, during my lunch break at work, and while waiting in the car for my husband to meet me for lunch.

I strongly recommend this book to anyone. I know that I won’t be going into much detail, but I don’t want to give the story away, either. You’ll just have to read this book to appreciate Marvin’s creative writing and story-telling skills. He did such a wonderful job in writing it. He writes in a common, everyday language. He describes sex and fighting scenes without sugar coating them. (some of the language -and the sex - and fighting scenes might actually be a bit too raw, harsh, and graphic for some readers. I know they are for me. Tee, hee.). But by doing so, Marvin captures the true essence of each of his characters’ dialects, speech patterns, and lifestyle, lending a high degree of credence and authenticity to his characters.

The story is fast moving, heart thumping, and full of adventure - a page-turner. I can promise you’ll not be bored or disappointed. You’ll be saying “Whoa” or “Wow” when you finish reading it. It’s just that good. The story gives you a satisfying ending, which to me is very important whenever I’m reading a book or watching a movie.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading the dialogue between the two young women in the car (near the beginning of the story) and what is almost a monologue by Jewel’s nurse when Jewel had her doctor’s appointment. I could really relate to these scenarios.

There you have it—my very first book review!

Marvin D. Wilson claims this about himself: I am an old Hippie rock and roller, a non-religious, dogma free, Maverick spiritualist Christian. I am an author, with the audacity to write novels. I also am an editor. I’m on the editors staff at All Things That Matter Press and also do freelance. For a rate quote, contact me at marvwilson2020@gmail.com

You may also visit Marvin at The Old Silly’s Free Spirit Blog where you’ll read his daily postings that inspires, informs, educates, humors, rants, and whatever else he comes up with on a whim for that day. All is worth reading. If only I have all the time in the world to read every single one of them...

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting story, I may just have to pick it up. Sometimes the raw language is what makes a novel "real". I have trouble writing it myself, but enjoy reading those who can write it. Especially those certain scenes, LOL. I know, I'm terrible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eric,
    Thanks so much for visiting. It means a lot to me. I still have difficulty writing or saying the strong raw words myself. But, I'm able to write "sonofabitch" and "shit" now. That's an accomplishment, right? LOL.

    Thanks again,
    Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Tasha,

    Now, you've convince me to read the book. Can I borrow it? he he he...I'm sure it will also be my cup of tea. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for posting this, and for writing such a wonderful review, Tashabud! It's good to know you enjoyed the Owen Fiddler Experience ... here's praying that YOU never owe the Fiddler! (wink)

    The Old Silly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jena,
    Good to know that my review has convinced you to read the book. I wish that if it werent't for the cost of postage, I'd lend it to you in a heartbeat.

    You sure are an early riser. I'll be going to bed soon. Gotta go to work tonight. Argh.

    Thanks again for your readership.

    Good Night,
    Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Marvin,
    You're very welcome. It was a pleasure to read your book as I've expressed on my post. I'm so happy to own a copy. Hope to be reading more of your books in the future.

    I hope I don't either. Eeek, I'm scared!

    Tasha

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping, reading, and commenting. Have a wonderful day or night to you.